Friday, March 9, 2012

March 5, 2012

Hello family!
Yeah, Brother Memory came and talked to my companion and me yesterday after church while we were studying. He was a really nice guy. It's too bad you missed his call, though!
The weather didn't affect us at all. It was all to the North of us. So we don't get to do any service. We just get to keep on teaching like normal!
I'm so excited for Drew! Just one more day!
Tell Lainey to suck it up and stop being sick! Being sick is for the weak and down-trodden!
Dad is going without you to DC? That's like the first time in what, 5 or 6 years? Well I hope he has a fun time with his traveling and such!
Everything is going great here. I've never seen so many people that go to church or that believe in God. I've come to a realization that I do not know the Bible nearly as well as I need to in order to teach these people. So I've started studying the New Testament in hopes that I can familiarize myself with that a bit more. We've already had some good teaching experiences and found some really good people. I have the same companion here that I had in the last little bit of the MTC, so it's been interesting with that. We both expected to have a companion who was much more experienced and could kind of show us the ropes, but we're out here by ourselves learning how to do it the best way we can. It's difficult, but we're learning a ton and becoming better missionaries every day.
I've never realized how much of a concentration of LDS people we have back home until we came out here. Here in Prattville, they just had a new ward made (the second in the area) and both wards have about 150 active members. And the ward area is pretty massive, too. The town of Prattville itself has about 30,000 people in it, so with 150 members, that's a pretty slim percentage of members (the other ward is technically in Millbrook). I never realized how blessed we were to grow up with so many good friends in the church and so many people right around us that had the same beliefs as we do. There's a lot of areas out here that just have a branch of 30-50 members even though the towns they are in aren't even very small. There is definitely plenty of work to do out here for us. The people aren't always receptive, but a lot of them are still willing to take a bit of time to just talk about God for a bit and the amazing things he has done and continues to do for us.
Well the two elders that we are living with are Elder Hortin and Elder Sorensen. They're both from Utah and they're actually our zone leaders. Elder Sorensen was actually originally called to Londrina, Brazil, but after a year he had some medical problems and had to come home for a bit. After that he was permanently reassigned to here, and I am definitely glad he is with us. These two missionaries are a great example to us and are amazing teachers. Elder Brown and I still have a ton more to learn from them.

Well, I hope all is going well and you are all staying happy! Tell everyone I love them!

-Elder Hopper

No comments:

Post a Comment