Monday, June 11, 2012

June 11, 2012

Another crazy week at home, it looks like! But I'm sure it'll all calm down now that school's out and all that is done. Just in time for surgeries and more vacation time! Dad's got his sabbatical so you guys are going to Disneyland, right? Wasn't that the plan a few years back? 
This week was kinda crazy. On Wednesday we had a training from President Prieto, but the building that we were going to use was being cleaned, so everyone left. About 4 blocks down the road, President called everyone back so that we could walk to another chapel to have the meeting there! So we all went there, had the meeting, which was supposed to end around 11:30, but we got out at almost 2:00. So we all walked together to a buffet type place and ate, when it started pouring down rain. So 4 of us missionaries that live together huddled under one umbrella and walked back to the chapel where the bishop of Ala 1 gave us a ride home. Boy, were we happy for that ride! 

On Saturday, we helped put a roof on a house. But here all the houses are made of bricks and cement. So we poured cement for the roof for about 5 or 6 hours in the morning. And by poured cement, I mean that we mixed the cement in the driveway, and then hauled it bucket by bucket up to the top of the house where a member poured it on the top. It was a bit tedious, but I can now say that I helped construct a house in Brasil. 

Later that night we had a baptism of a man named Getulho. He is the neighbor of one of the members here, so we met him that way. His family wants nothing to do with the church, but we'll see if that changes or not. He's having some marital issues right now, so we're trying to keep everything sane within his house before we start preaching the gospel to the rest of the family. 

Even later than the baptism we went to watch the Cultural Show before the dedication of the Temple in Manaus. It was pretty cool and all, it was pretty neat to see all the different dances and stuff that they did. 

Then on Sunday we got to watch the dedication of the Temple in Manaus. That was pretty awesome. It was a lot more simple than I thought it would be, but it was still good. They had the dedicatory prayer given by Elder Uchtdorf, and a few more talks. I am so grateful for temples and the opportunity that we have to make covenants with God here on the other, but not only for ourselves. We have the grand opportunity to help those who have already passed through the veil to the next life make those same covenants. I'm so grateful for this gospel and the happiness it brings! I wish more people would understand what we have and the awesome chance we have to become like our Heavenly Father one day. Every day I think about the people back home that I never took the chance to share this gospel with and it makes me a bit sad to think about that, but I know that I'll have the chance again when I get back home to talk with most of them. Never lose a chance to share the gospel with those you love! This gospel is for everyone! 

I wanted to send home some pictures this week, but I forgot the cable for my camera in our house today, so you'll have to wait another week before you get pictures!

I love you all! I hope you all have a fantastic week! And I'm praying for you, mom! I hope your surgery goes well!

Love,

Elder Hopper #1


No comments:

Post a Comment