Monday, January 14, 2013

January 14, 2013

Helllooo family and friends!

This week we had tons of work! And by tons of work I mean that we almost didn't leave the house the whole week! I got sick. Again. This time they gave me some antibiotics and told me to take it easy on the food and all... And of course the days that I'm feeling the worst, the members of the ward bring my favorite food to my companion and soup for me. But that's alright. I'm better now!

So between the sickness and the absurd amount of rain we've gotten this week, there was not much work to be done. However, we were able to attend a baptism of the other ward that lives with us. They had a baptism of a mom and her son, which they had to fight pretty hard to get. They were supposed to have the interview on Thursday for baptism, but they got a call that morning from her, saying that her husband had gotten reeaaalllly mad the night before and told her that the missionaries could not teach her anymore, and that she couldn't be baptized. Sooo they went to her house and talked to her. Turns out her husband was drunk... And then they talked to him and got it all figured out. So they interviewed her on Saturday at 5, and the baptism was at 7. Yaaay baptism!

I'm sending one picture this week... It rained. And flooded the streets. This picture was taken just after we had helped push a car that had stalled in the water. There were tons of people just walking around in the knee-high water because there was no way around it. 

So I was studying this morning, reading a talk by Elder Eyring. I don't know what it's called in English... But it's "Estar à Altura do Chamado" in Portuguese. But it was talking about callings in the church. He says that in all the callings in the church, we are representing Jesus Christ. We are doing what he would do, if he were in our position. That was something very interesting to me. Us missionaries use this frequently - we are always talking about how we are representatives of Christ, but I never thought about how every calling in the church is like that. We need to always remember that the salvation of an individual always rests on us, no matter what our calling is. We need to magnify our callings so that other people may receive their salvation, along with us.

I also gave a talk this week. I talked about D&C 107:99-100. Kind of. I wrote down a couple of scriptures, and then ended up going a completely different path with my talk. And I guess it went well. Afterwards, in a training meeting we had that night, the bishop and someone on the high council quoted me a good 4 or 5 times. It was good to know that I was able to receive inspiration from the Holy Ghost to know what to say, even though I didn't say what I had originally planned to. It's as if he knows what the ward needs more than I do... Weird how that works.

Well, that's all for this week. I love you all! Have a fantastic week!

-Elder Hopper #1

No comments:

Post a Comment