Monday, February 25, 2013

February 25, 2013

Good afternoon everyone!

This week was AWESOME. I loved every second of it. This new area is great, my comp is great, our ward mission leader is great, our house is... almost great, and it's not too hot. I'll go day by day.

Monday - We got here, and our ward mission leader came and gave us a ride to our house. He's awesome and Mom has already talked to him a bit.  But on Monday we met Samara, who has a baptismal date for the 8th of March. She's come a long way from where she was when the missionaries first met her, and it looks like she'll be ready here in a couple of weeks for her baptism. 




Tuesday - A HUGE rainstorm came through. With a lot of rain. I took a couple of pictures of what happened to some things here. Gas station lost a roof, three huge trees fell down in the middle of very main roads, and more carnage in other areas. And I saw a Ford Raptor really close to our house.

Wednesday - We met a lady named Maria. Her son is on a mission, but she is not a member. She said that now it's time for her to join the church, along with the rest of her family. So we marked a baptismal date with her for the 16th of March. We'll go back to teach her tomorrow. And I took a pretty good picture of 3 cars at an intersection here. 
 Also, on Wednesday, we found out that in July our mission will be split, along with Campinas, to form the mission Brasil Piracicaba. In this area, I would stay in this mission, but the people in São Carlos, Pirassinunga, and São João da Boa Vista will go to the new mission. Also, our new mission president in Riberão will be Mauro T. Brum.

Thursday - We met a guy named Jeferson. Basically he is really confused about religion. He wants to follow the right church, but doesn't know where to look. That's when we knock on his door, looking for a different person. But we taught him and it was good. He said he would start reading the Book of Mormon just as we left, and accepted a date for baptism. The 23rd of March. Also on Thursday, a Porsche Cayenne S parked right in front of our house.
 

Friday - I had my first lesson with an Atheist. But she was really nice. She gave us cake, juice, and some other cool chocolates. It was actually a really good lesson, and she said she would read and pray. 

Saturday - We helped a new family move into the ward. Not much else exciting happened this day.



Sunday - We met Bob. He's a really old guy who lives in our ward and is super active in the church, but he's not a member. His wife is. We had lunch at his house. He moved here basically because he wanted to retire. Then he met his wife, got married, bought a condominium, and stayed here. He's really funny and it was really awesome to get to know him. The funny thing is, Bob isn't a member, but he's more faithful to the church than half the members here, and while we were at his house, he quoted Brigham Young. It was a really good visit. I'm thinking we're going to baptize him... Also, we were talking about what we wanted to do after our missions, and I mentioned that I wanted to race cars. While we were getting up to leave, he got up and told me to sit in his chair. He put his hand on my shoulder and said, "I christen you 'Speedy' - because a 'Hopper' can't be a race car driver." I now have the nickname "Speedy" and an old man's blessing if I want to race cars as a profession. I also took a picture of the road that we live on from Bob's house. There are tons of condominiums. Basically we are neighbors with a bunch of millionaires and billionaires. (Each one of the condominiums costs upwards of R$2,500,000)

So this week was cool. We have one baptism marked this week, Ana Paula, who I actually don't know yet. My companion went to meet her while we were on a division. But it'll be good! I love this area!

AND THE PORTLAND OREGON MISSION IS SPLITTING?!?!?! Salem mission, wooooo!!!!!! Vancouver Washington mission as well!!!

That's all I got! I love you all! Have a great week!

-Elder Hopper #1

No comments:

Post a Comment